Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Equicube Review

Since we're on a bit of a hiatus, I'm going to write a bit on my new training tool, the Equicube.  I'll just come out and say it - I love it! 

First - just what is it?  It's a hard rubber coated box with handles that weighs 4 pounds. 

What is it for?  Per the manufacturer: "The Equicube assists riders to achieve the correct position while engaging the proper muscles, allowing the rider to sit up, bring their shoulders back, and create the ideal ‘feel’."

Why I like it: It makes doing the right thing easy!  I've struggled with my elbows for years, I have a horrible tendency to keep them stick straight.  I thought the weight of the cube would make it tiring to keep my elbows straight - that I would still try to keep them straight but eventually it would start to hurt and I would force myself to try bending them.  But with the cube it just feels natural to bend them! 

I also have wandering hands.  They float inside into a leading rein on a circle, lift up when I ask for the canter, or go in other random directions.  Holding the block keeps them in place.  (Granted, this one can also be achieved with holding a crop in both hands, which I do frequently)  I do have to be careful though because I sometime still cross my hand over the neck with the cube.

 I also rotate my wrists, especially the right.  Or sometimes just break at the wrist.  When you hold the cube correctly the top should be level, and it's helpful for me to be able to quickly glance down and see.

Not quite correct, but it's hard holding with one hand!
The cube is also helpful with my upper body.  As I've documented, I'm always tipped forward.  I sometimes also collapse sideways in lateral work.  The weight of the cube encourages me to stay upright and centered.

The only real downside I've seen is it's hard to adjust the rein length.  But that does have a small upside of getting me to use my legs and seat more!  But for Cupid and me, improving connection is our biggest objective at the moment - and the cube will help with that long term if I ride more correctly.  I use the cube for short periods mid-ride to create the muscle memory.  When I'm not riding with it I still think of that feeling, and pretend I'm holding an imaginary cube!

2 comments:

  1. I want to try one of these soooooo bad haha. Glad you’re liking it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been wanting one for a long time before I finally pulled the trigger but it's totally worth it for me!
      It can also be a good group gift to a trainer. I told my trainer to feel free to borrow it anytime, and she's used it with several students and everyone took something positive from it - one of the her other students even ordered her own!

      Delete