Wednesday, August 14, 2019

In a Rut

I've felt like I've been stuck in a bit of a rut lately.  We've been working on the same things for so long, and though have made some progress it's just been so slow.  Like I've been trying to focus on soft elbows for like 2 years, and it sometimes feels better but then when I see a picture or video it doesn't look better at all.  Then after Cupid's back finally seemed better he had a bit of on and off - not lameness but a bit of a short-stridedness I think we can attribute to a minor abscess.

We went to a show, and it was tense and horrible.  On the bright side our canter transitions were pretty good... all four of them (in a test that's only supposed to have two....)  Our worst score to date, I kind of just want to move on and not think about it.  But Cupid did earn himself a trip to another show this weekend, and possible the next and then a few more outings next month so he hopefully realizes it's no big deal.  Last year after going to several shows, at least one a month, he was doing really well we just haven't been able to go with any consistency this year.

And then yesterday we literally fell into a rut.  Well didn't fall, thankfully but kind of stumbled through it.  We were just doing a little bareback hack around the property, and part of the trail was a little overgrown so I didn't see the erosion until we were over it.  Luckily Cupid kept his balance and got through okay.

We have a bit of a heat wave this week.  Today I just hand walked Cupid and let him graze.  We are supposed to have a lesson tomorrow, though I offered to my trainer that we could go on a trail ride instead since it's her last week off before she resumes classes, and we somehow haven't managed to do a trail ride all summer!
First world problems so I'll quit my whining now =)

3 comments:

  1. I swear I’ve been working on the same things forever. A trail ride sounds like a lot of fun

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw I’m sorry the show didn’t go well. Riding is so hard and dressage in particular can be such a grind. Judges are always kinda just looking at like, the same three things, whereas we as riders have to focus on a much bigger picture for training the whole horse. Hopefully Cupid feels more relaxed at your next show!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keeping my fingers crossed for you this weekend!

    ReplyDelete