Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Horse Eating Chairs

It's hard to imagine any other sport or activity could be near as humbling as riding.  Cupid is normally very easy going, but every so often he just gets in a mood where it feels like we're pretty much back at square one.  We've had two rides in the past two weeks where I had to throw the lesson plan out the window and spend the entirety of the ride just trying to get Cupid to relax and go around the arena without spooking. 

On both days something "scary" happened before I even got on (related to maintenance work on the property).  Both times I started with a little in hand work to try to get Cupid's focus.  But it wasn't enough when I got on, he would not stay straight on the long side between F and M.  So we would start on a 20 meter circle by A, which was fine.  But going down the rail as soon as we approach B Cupid was start shying off the rail - so we do a 10 meter circle before B, cut across the arena throwing in another small circle, until that was going smoothly.  Gradually we'd go a bit further down the arena, and after about half an hour we can more or less go all the way around, as long as I used a lot of inside leg to keep Cupid on the rail.
OMG it's going to eat me!!
I don't get nervous anymore when Cupid gets like this, because he doesn't try to get me off or run away or anything, but it's just annoying!  I want him to have his attention on me, inside the arena regardless of what is going on outside.  Especially if it's just a chair or mounting block by the side of the arena, which is pretty much always there and he's seen hundreds of times!!!  I guess this indicates that I am not really inspiring confidence and he is not really seeing me as the leader, so that is something I need to work on.  And, the answer is always more leg. 
Who me, misbehave?  Never!
So sweet and innocent
Not helping, when everything is obscured in fog and deer lurk nearby
On a lighter note, part of my original plan today I wanted to work on my arms with the Equicube a bit, but quickly realized that is probably not the best idea.  I can't reach the fence railing from the dressage court, and was too lazy to dismount so after pondering it for a moment I decided to just chuck the 4 lb cube from off Cupid's back.  He didn't blink at that!

2 comments:

  1. I feel your pain- it is annoying even when it's not scary anymore. IMO It's not so much that he doesn't see you as a leader but that his response when uncertain is to avoid the thing. which is great for survival in the wild. It just wreaks havoc on training. You could play a game with the chair that it is always the 'rest point' (where you take the pressure off). At first he will carry on by but eventually he will realize that this is a 'good' place to be and start seeking it (you can play that on the ground too with lunging).

    and yes, the answer is pretty much always leg. lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea, thanks. I haven't really tried that usually I just circle to refocus and try to keep him going as best I can. Unfortunately we're not allowed to lunge in that arena.

      Delete