Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Feels like Spring

The past week or so has been steady and unremarkable.  I've continued doing no-stirrup work, even volunteering it in our last lesson.  It has really helped me better feel what is happening under me and also if I'm leaning.  Some things are easier, others a bit more challenging like not letting my hands fly up during our trot to canter transitions. 
Enjoying sunshine and grass
Since the weather has been nice, our outdoor arena is open again after about 2 months of non-use.  Our first ride in it was good, but the second time we went in there Cupid was very spooky and distracted.  We've ridden in it once more since, and he was still a bit spooky but not quite as bad.  Since this morning I didn't have much time to ride, I just did a bit of groundwork with him out there, hopefully that will help him be more relaxed next time.

Cupid and I also enjoyed a little jumping session while the jumps were set low.  We tested out the new filler and a little 2 stride combination.
New filler

2 stride combo
Last weekend we went on a trail ride, with our usual companions as well as 2 pairs from our barn.  Cupid was a little anxious at first because the 2 new horses were walking faster then him, and instead of walking faster himself he just wanted to jig.  So we stayed behind my friend I usually ride with until he settled back down, and ended up having a very lovely ride enjoying our unseasonably nice weather.

Unfortunately Cupid got what I think was a kick in the chest, but luckily it was not serious.  We took it easy just walking a few days in case he was sore, but it is healing up nicely.
Oww!

No comments:

Post a Comment