Monday, February 24, 2020

Work hard, play harder

We had a few rides that felt a bit sluggish.  It was taking a long time, like half an hour, before we were getting somewhat round, and even then Cupid was a bit behind the leg.  So I reminded myself to set my intentions and ride correctly from the start (yes we need to warm up, but that doesn't mean drift around on a long rein) and work on lots of transitions to sharpen up.  There was an immediate improvement :)  I just need to stay on top of it and make sure neither of us are getting lazy.

Our good weather had been continuing so yesterday Cupid and I went on a lovely trail ride at Huddart Park.  We saw more hikers then usual, everyone was taking advantage of the spring-like conditions.  Horses are not uncommon at this park and people tend to be very respectful passing, and generally seem happy to see us.  I always say hello, and thank you if people stand aside on the narrow trials to maintain this good relationship so we can all enjoy the nature.

So lucky we get to enjoy the beautiful redwood forests!
My friend's mare was in heat and trying desperately to get Cupid's attention, but he could care less.  Midway through we switched so Cupid was in front.  He is still a teeny bit more hesitant in front, but it's gotten almost imperceptible.  For the most part I did just let him walk on a loose rein, we can still take a break and relax once in a while as long as he responds when I ask :)
Walking along the road to the trailhead
There is only a little bit of water in the creeks, and it's not really flowing.  Here's a video of one of several little bridges we crossed.

After we got back several boarders asked where we had gone and how it went.  One said that it must be nice to have a horse you can just go out and do fun stuff with.  I couldn't agree more!  I'm very lucky to have my lovely reliable horse, own truck and trailer so we can go wherever we want whenever we want, and to live in such a wonderful area where there are beautiful places to ride and lovely weather to do it almost year round. 

Relaxing in his Back on Track blanket after all that hard work

No comments:

Post a Comment