Friday, April 24, 2020

Soloshot in a Covered Arena

I ordered my Soloshot with full knowledge that it may not work in a covered arena based on things I've read, and just wanted to share my experience in case it helps anyone else considering the purchase.

Our covered arena is I think approx. 100x200 feet.  It is a steel structure, open on two adjacent sides and with metal siding on the other two.  Additionally there are several large cypress tress around it.  My phone generally works, though I don't use it in the arena enough to know if there are dead spots. 

Since my expectations were low (ie. I didn't think it would track at all) I was pleasantly surprised that it was able to follow me about 2/3 of my ride.  I rode for about half an hour and in all areas of the arena.  I had the camera a few feet outside it on the open long side (behind the F marker for dressage), not directly under a tree but there were trees several feet behind it.  It seems like it tended to lose me around A (an open side), and the corner between C&M (which is paneled on the short side but open on the long side), but not always.

Here's a link to a clip where it isn't tracking very successfully: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Q5vUPLJmO4t4S11PhHqncjjsmh1gkPXx


Here's another clip, where it's more successful (aside from my camera placement issue with the supports in the way!): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1B2r6FwabtKpMXk5EU2MwmdLp8HxTf9gt


As you can see from the clips, it was a gray and foggy day.  The arena lights are on, but videoing in there is generally always challenging with the lighting.  I'm not sure if I can set a preference on how much I want it to zoom.  I wouldn't mind it zooming a bit closer. 

Screenshot - Soloshot tracking in covered arena
So my overall assessment is, the Soloshot did do better then I expected, since I didn't think it would track at all.  The overall quality is sufficient to provide some helpful feedback (taking into account the poor lighting in this arena, which is a problem with most cameras).  However, I don't think it's really ideal if you want to use for doing lessons remotely.  I haven't tried a Pixio personally, but based on my understanding that would probably work better for that purpose.

Here's another clip (bonus jumping footage!) with the Soloshot set stationary.  This is a sunnier day, with no lights on.  https://drive.google.com/open?id=11xsMHuIhP6OBpJ2w692HE-KkNdCrWMzC


Screenshot - Soloshot stationary over wall
Screenshot - Solosho stationary over coop


1 comment: