Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Soloshot!

Since we haven't had a lesson in a month now, I decided to do the next best thing and get a Soloshot camera!  I was debating between Soloshot and Pixio and ended up going with a Soloshot even though it may not be able to track in our covered arena.  I haven't tried it yet - I used it once just stationary on a dim and very foggy day and the quality was actually better then I expected.  But since our outdoor is finally open again I've been riding out there. 

The first time I tried it I was a bit horrified by what I saw, and since then I've been doing part of each ride with a German martingale.  I put it on after I warm up, do about 15 minutes of my typical trot and canter work with it, and then take it off and try to keep the same feel for another 15 minutes or so. 

Here are some bad still shots, taken from my camera phone photographing the video playing on my laptop because I'm very high tech like that.


Covid Cowgirl
So it should come as no surprise that I'm stumbling into all the possible user errors.  2 out of the first 3 times I took the camera to the barn I hadn't charged it.  And I've missed [key] portions of my ride accidentally turning it off.  Like today I thought I paused it while I was taking the martingale off but I guess I just stopped it and didn't turn it back on.  As I rode through my dressage test that I was thinking of submitting for my First Level review with Amelia Newcomb.  Yeah, real smart.  I guess we'll call it a dress rehearsal.  Luckily we didn't have like the best ride ever, but I figured it was an accurate representation of where we are now so I was planning to use it and get feedback on the bad along with the good.

I'll have to add some video clips once I get around to trimming them small enough to upload.



5 comments:

  1. I keep looking at those but the price sends me away. But I'm leaning towards starting to save for one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought mine off a facebook group, open box but unused so it was a little less then the list price

      Delete
  2. I love my soloshot! Definitely been so helpful during this time where we can't have lessons. I just wish it could live stream (I know it claims it can but I haven't had any luck) for remote lessons, but beggars can't be choosers. Glad we're still able to ride even if lessons/clinics/shows aren't happening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I thought you could, but I don't have Wifi at the barn so it wouldn't work anyways.

      Delete
  3. oh man i LOVE having videos of my riding, but almost never ever get footage of anything other than jumping. i guess bc it's hard to voluntell someone to sit there and tape me doing endless flat work haha. but the result is that every time i DO see a picture of myself doing flat work it's..... eh, mildly appalling haha. i might be sitting there thinking i'm so straight and tall and graceful. but.... the pictures tell a more potato-y story LOL.

    ReplyDelete