Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Double Header

We've slowly been increasing the length and work intensity of our rides, but I haven't ridden Cupid two consecutive days since he first came up sore.  I was a little hesitant, not wanting to overdo it, but went ahead and scheduled a trail ride for Saturday and lesson on Sunday. 

We decided to ride in the sculpture gardens since that is a relatively easy ride, good footing and mostly just gentle slopes.  It was pretty hot out, and Cupid was a little bothered by flies tossing his head and not wanting to stand.  He was a little bratty about closing gates.  The first one I ended up having my friend do, the second one we kept at it until we got it even though Cupid was not really helping.  We'll have to work on that.  Aside from the gates he was very good, and not bothered by any of the art. 

Gently rolling hills
Frankenstein
Art installation
I want to try my western saddle again, but making sure Cupid's back is okay first before I try a new saddle.  So in the meantime we usually use the jumping saddle for trails (with longer stirrups).  I have a little saddle bag I clip to the dee rings, in which I usually carry a bottle of water, a few horse treats, and my cell phone.  I know the best practice is probably to carry the phone on my person in case I get separated from Cupid, but unless usually don't unless I have a zippered pocket.  I like to wear denim riding breeches (these ones are Irideon and very comfortable), and my Ariat terrain short boots. I normally wear a tshirt, but wisely decided to wear a long sleeved sun shirt with zip up collar to avoid sunburn. 

English trail pony
I was worried Cupid would be sore or tired the next day, but he actually had slightly above-average energy and felt great!  Instead of lunging I started with hand walking Cupid and doing some in-hand exercises to loosen him up.  Then I got on him and we started with a little walking with my feet out of the stirrups to lengthen my leg, and some shallow serpentines to get Cupid bending.  We picked up the trot as our trainer arrived, and most of the lesson was (yet again) working on improving contact especially on the outside rein.  (which I let "bounce in the wind" as my trainer says, lol)  We tend to overbend through the neck a bit going right, and not bend enough going left.  Other things I'm still working on are sitting upright instead of leaning forward, especially at the canter, and not crossing my left hand over the neck.

The canter felt good, and the transitions were good since Cupid was pretty keen to go.  We ended with some transitions between walk and trot, focusing on getting rounder in the walk and maintaining it through the transition.

I was feeling pretty optimistic after the lesson that Cupid is feeling back to normal, knock on wood!

No comments:

Post a Comment