Thursday, July 11, 2019

Functional Electrical Stimulation and Laser Therapy

We are continuing to be patient and give Cupid the time he needs to recover.  I worry sometimes that maybe there is something more going on, but I know personally I've had several muscle strains that though they were mild I could feel for months.  Saturday I was encouraged because Cupid was moving out about the best I've ever seen him, but then on Monday he just looked okay.  But on Saturday it was warmer, and I also went later then usual and he had already been turned out for a while instead of coming out cold from his stall so I'm sure that helped.

My trainer's therapist was coming out to the barn, so I decided to take advantage and see if we can help Cupid be more comfortable.  Plus it's always good getting a new set of eyes on a problem!  She hadn't treated Cupid before, so I gave her general background and then described the back problem and what we've done so far.  She watched him briefly and did a quick assessment.  She said overall his muscle development seemed good, and he looked fairly even both sides.  Then she went to his back and quickly found the problem area where Cupid dropped his back in discomfort.

She started with a laser to warm up the area which would allow the FES to work more effectively.  The laser was about 3.5 minutes each side, and Cupid stood without much reaction.
Laser treatment

Then she wet Cupid's back and placed on the pad for the FES.  I don't understand it entirely, so here is a description from: https://www.sporthorsevets.com:  "Functional Electrical Stimulation (FES) is the application of computer-regulated electrical impulses to the skin in a waveform that mimics the motor neuron signal the brain sends to the muscle to cause a contraction. It is considered “functional” electrical stimulation because the waveform replicates the normal contraction of the muscles being stimulated, just as if the brain itself had initiated the contraction. It therefore has the ability to treat both muscle spasm and muscle atrophy... During treatment, FES feels like a deep muscle massage because the sophisticated software mimics the electrical signals produced naturally between the brain and the body."

She said Cupid started responding immediately in some areas.  She told me to put my hand over the pad and I could feel it quivering.  I thought that was the signals from the pad, but she said that was actually the muscle reacting to it.  We did about 35 minutes total.  Cupid was very good about standing still, and about midway through started yawning and showing signs of relaxation!
Functional Electrical Stimulation (FES)

The recommendation was to give him the following day off, then resume the light work ever 2-3 days as we've been doing.


3 comments:

  1. I love all these different therapies there are out there now for horses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh interesting! i'll be curious to hear how he feels after this

    ReplyDelete