Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Looks Can Be Deceiving - Myler Combination Bit

I've tried several bits on Cupid over the years, and didn't feel much difference - Cupid didn't hate any of them and is always as good as I ride him to.  Granted they were all pretty basic - plain snaffle, snaffle with rollers, oval link, and level 1 and 2 Mylers.  When my trainer suggested we try a combination bit I admit I was skeptical.  It looks like a lot going on, and Cupid doesn't really get strong so I didn't feel like I needed "more bit."  But I read a bit more about them, and was intrigued enough to give it a try.

How Dale Myler explains is: a simple snaffle (reins or headstall not fixed in position on the bit), might put pressure on the tongue and bars of the mouth, let's say 50/50.  The combination bit will start with pressure on the nose, curb, and poll, 33/33/33, until it rotates to where the mouthpiece touches the stop and then the tongue and bar pressure also comes into play, so 20% in each area.  So the pressure on the mouth is actually less.  He also says it makes sense to horses because their early training is in a halter, where the pressure is on the nose and poll not mouth. 

I waited until my lesson last weekend for our first ride in it.  Tip: I needed to swap out bridles for something smaller because I was already on the top hole and the combo bit has a longer purchase compared to even my big D ring.  I was trying to ride as normally as possible though I think I was a little hesitant still, but Cupid was fine.  Better than fine; for the first time ever, I could actually feel a difference as he was more responsive!  I especially felt it in our down transitions, Cupid was quick to respond and his head wasn't coming up!

Obviously this is not a legal bit for dressage, but I think it will be a good bit to play around with.  And possibly give me a little extra confidence once we get back to jumping again!



Level 1 mouthpiece

2 comments:

  1. Interesting. I can see how that would work. I would be curious to try it on Carmen but, as you say, it's not legal for dressage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know a lot of people who really love that bit. and actually, most of the folks i know who have used it haven't necessarily used it forever. rather, it was a good choice for just a period of time in their horse's training, and they eventually graduated back to a legal bit for normal work.

    ReplyDelete