Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Update

We've had three rides since the treatment last week.  As expected, I couldn't really feel any difference the first ride.  Though he did get both canter leads at least.

But then last weekend he felt phenomenal in our lesson!  I wasn't expecting much because to me he didn't look great cantering on the lunge line, though the trot was fine.  So I told our trainer let's keep it easy, mostly trot but with a little canter so she can see. 

Even though Cupid was already warmed up, I started with a quick walk with my feet of the stirrups, which is a stretch I've been doing to help my leg stay longer.  Then we picked up the trot and it felt pretty good.  Since we are keeping things simple I am really trying to concentrate on my form.  With the stretching frame sometimes I fall into a trap of throwing away all contact or my arms get too straight and down.  We did some gently leg yielding on a circle, going between ~18-20 meter circles.

Then it was time for a little canter work.  We started to the right, and Cupid picked it up promptly, then a stride later tripped on his nose and broke into a trot.  Oops!  (They recently added new footing to the arena so it may have been a touch deep.)  So I got organized and asked for the canter again, and got a lovely transition without him raising his head, and the balance felt really good.  We stayed on a 20 meter circle and encouraged Cupid to keep stretching, while I focused on trying to sit back.  (Still not quite there, even though in my head I think touch the back of my head to his tail!)  We got a nice down transition to the trot, went halfway around and down the diagonal, then I asked for the left lead and it was equally prompt and lovely!  =) 

The canter felt so good I was tempted to do more, but we stuck to the plan and finished with a bit more trot work, going between a 15 meter circle shortening the stride to a 20 meter circle opening it up. 

After the lesson I was feeling super optimistic that Cupid was on track and feeling good.  Unfortunately my next ride two days later felt a bit meh.  :/  Nothing wrong exactly, and maybe he was just lazy but I just didn't feel the same swinging and pushing from the back.  So now I don't know what to think.  Two steps forward one step back?

Here's a recent clip of him lunging - bear in mind I'm not very good at lunging and filming at the same time!

1 comment:

  1. glad things seem to at least be going in the right direction!!

    ReplyDelete