Thursday, July 18, 2019

Rider Fitness

My job has me sitting in front of a computer all day and on top of that I spend almost two hours in the car most days.  My motivations are to be a more effective rider, and let's face it I want to look... if not good at least not bad. I'm back to my pre-pregnancy weight, and my strength and flexibility seem about the same but my endurance isn't quite there yet.  Even though it's hard to make the time, I still make it a priority to be somewhat active and healthy.

Exercise

I've been running since I was 15 and have been a regular gym-goer since college.  I did some marathons in my mid-20s (PR 3:45), and a few 50k trail runs in my early 30s.  Even though I consider myself primarily a long-distance runner, I've won my division of our company 5k twice (PR 21:20)!  I was also into cycling for a while (though I don't currently own a bike), and proud to have completed a century ride.

I don't like high intensity workouts.  I'd rather just jog along listening to music for an hour or more then do a few sprints.  Or 15-20 reps with a light weight instead of a few at max weight.  But I do try to force myself on occasion!

Here is my typical week:

Monday - 60 minute yoga class, plus run 2-4 miles before or after
Tuesday - 30 minute conditioning class (planks, crunches, hand weights, bosu, sometimes with cardio intervals but thankfully usually not), followed by 30-60 minutes cardio on the treadmill, stairstepper, or elliptical
Wednesday - 60 minutes jogging
Thursday - 30 minute conditioning class (same as Tuesday), followed by 30-60 minutes cardio on the treadmill, stairstepper, or elliptical
Friday - 30 minute conditioning class (same as Tuesday), followed by 30 minute stretch class, followed by 60 minute spin class
Saturday/Sunday - either nothing, or hiking, or pushing baby in stroller on paved trail for 60-90 minutes

Diet

I try to keep it reasonable, but I'm not at all strict about it.  I have a pretty big sweet tooth and eat way too much sugar.  But my better half is on a low carb diet so dinner is usually meat (generally salmon, chicken or pork chop) and vegetables.  Actually we pretty much only have healthy food at home but there is always crap in the office and I don't turn it down.

Wellness

I see a chiropractor about once a month.  It's mainly preventative, I don't have any chronic issues just the typical office worker hunch. 

I get a massage a few times a year, not regularly unfortunately.

One recent change I made was to swap out my chair at work for one with no arm rests, because I'm always leaning on my left side. 

Here's what I'm working with

1 comment:

  1. oh man, the office hunch is slowly killing me, i'm sure of it. salmon and brussel sprouts is one of my fave meals too tho!

    ReplyDelete